For many people, self-love is one of the best things you can do for yourself. But what is self-love and why do you need it? Self-love is prioritizing yourself instead of others to give yourself the happiness that you deserve. It can be sacrificing to those who put others first before themselves, but here is why it is important. Self-love is important because it improves the overall well-being of your mind and body. Here are a few ways on how to give yourself some love!
- To start, start the day by complimenting yourself. Focus on what you are insecure about and tell yourself something positive about it. To love yourself is to love your body and personality.
- Next, self-love comes along with self-care. This means practicing good hygiene, eating enough, and letting yourself get enough sleep. Self-care makes your body thank you and in the end, you will feel good.
- Even more, exercising is also a way of expressing love for yourself. But many people see exercise as just a way to lose weight or to get skinnier, which is not the point of loving yourself. Exercise because you love your body, not because you feel the need to fit in with the standards of beauty. You are perfect just the way you are! If you want what is best for your body, then exercising is a way to go. Exercising can even improve your overall mood, so get moving! Even if it is only for ten minutes!
- To continue, don't criticize yourself! There may be an occurrence where you may feel embarrassed or maybe you messed up by making a mistake. Tell yourself that it is okay to make mistakes, that it is okay to fall. You are human but sometimes the urge to be perfect gets to you. Humanity is not perfect so don't give yourself any burden. Forgive yourself, get back up, and try again.
- Last, but not least, discover your full potential. Realize that if life turns upside down, you have the power to change it. Only you can decide what is best for yourself and only you can you what you want. And don't say you have no strength because you are not alone. You have friends, family, and mentors to guide you. You just need to use your strength to ask for help when you need it. Realizing your full potential can completely change your mindset towards something amazing.
There are many more recommended tips for self-love here: https://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/30-ways-practice-self-love-and-good-yourself.html
To sum up, self-love is important all in itself and right now it is the perfect time to learn how to love yourself if you haven't. There are many moments in life waiting ahead beyond this pandemic. They may be happy, sad, or angry moments. But they all can be beautiful so keep your hopes up!
Ann, Jena. “The Importance of Self Love When Chronically Sick.” The Importance of Self Love When Chronically Sick | An Oasis from the Darkness of Pain | Hope Instilled, 2019, www.hopeinstilled.org/blog/7/35/the-importance-of-self-love-when-chronically-sick?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhZr1BRCLARIsALjRVQNJcgzMLA4tSOXv_WLlGX__Nqh4Jq3GmHI_xBFAWcv6UbyBn1dYw0waAoBZEALw_wcB.
Hays, Jessie. “30 Ways To Practice Self-Love And Be Good To Yourself.” Lifehack, Lifehack, 3 Jan. 2018, www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/30-ways-practice-self-love-and-good-yourself.html.
“HD Wallpaper: White Ceramic Mug near Eyeglasses with Black Frames and Gray Laptop Computer on Brown Table.” HD Wallpaper: White Ceramic Mug near Eyeglasses with Black Frames and Gray Laptop Computer on Brown Table | Wallpaper Flare, www.wallpaperflare.com/white-ceramic-mug-near-eyeglasses-with-black-frames-and-gray-laptop-computer-on-brown-table-wallpaper-zgbgu.
Segrott, Jeremy. “Love Yourself.” Flickr, Yahoo!, 12 Mar. 2017, www.flickr.com/photos/126337928@N05/33402824555.