Thousands of people all over the nation are stricken with medical conditions that affect how their organs function. Those people are then put on an organ transplant list provided by UNOS. United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) is the private, non-profit organization that manages the nation's organ transplant system under contract with the federal government. Their mission is to "Advance organ availability and transplantation to support patients through education, technology and policy development." I my self am an organ donor and you can be one too. So, here are 10 reasons why you should become an organ donor!
1. About 119,000 people are on the list and it's growing every year.
2. As of 2016, only 33,600 organs were received to patients on the wait list.
3. 22 people die everyday waiting on the transplant list.
4. 1 donor could save 8 lives.
5. You can become a donor at any age.
6. Most religions such as Amish, Buddhism, Catholicism, and Christianity approve of organ donations because it is viewed as an act of charity and compassion. See the stances of more religions here.
7. The organs you can donate are a liver, heart, kidneys, lungs, small intestine and pancreas.
8. The tissues you can donate are corneas, blood, blood vessels, bones, bone marrow, cartilage, connective tissues, eyes, heart valves, and skin.
9. You can save a family member or friend.
10.You could change a stranger's whole life with just one step.
If you are interested in UNOS and organ donations, Find out more by clicking here.